Some of our Principles
The Fatherhood of God
The Brotherhood of Man
The continuous existence of the human soul
Eternal progress open to every human soul
Welcome to Worksop
The building was completed in 1952 but thanks to
the many people over all the years and the love that has been generated here it
has made it what it is, a lovely spiritual, friendly place of peace and harmony.
Spiritualism was alive and well in Worksop as far
back as the 1930s and possibly much before that. The first meetings were held in
a room over a local farm which is now a shopping precinct. Another venue
was over a tripe shop in Bridge Place, Worksop. When the lease ran out in
1948 meetings were held in a room in Eastgate, Worksop. It was in that year that
the first moves were made to establish a SNU church and a Mrs. Moore
bought the land in George Street for £150 (!) On June 28, 1949 a loan was
sanctioned from the Spiritualists’ National Union Ltd. Building Fund Pool of
£1,688 4s. 9d. to build the Church. The interest was 5% and repayments were
£21.2s.0d. per quarter over 80 instalments. At that time the church had £250 in
the bank. The church was completed and in 1952 it was opened.
On October 16, 1953, the Retiring Trustees, Amy Moore, Cyril Keywood (who is
still a Member), May Holley, Eva Jones and Maurice James, signed over the Church
building to the Spiritualists’ National Union Ltd, of Manchester, and from then
on the SNU became the sole trustee. To keep the church going jumble sales
and selling furniture were held and in 1956 the weekly takings averaged £4 and
membership went down during the 1960 but from the mid 1970s membership grew and
in 1980 it was decided to extend the Church owing to the influx of new members.
A loan was taken out from the SNU but a founder-member made a donation to pay
off the loan. Mr. Gordon Higginson opened the new extension in 1983. A
stained glass window was installed in 1991 to commemorate the long service as
President of Mr. John Marsh.
To conform to government guidelines a Disabled
Toilet, Ramps and a Loop System were all installed during 2004. The Church
members have a very caring attitude and Donations are made to local charities - including Bluebell Wood Children's Hospice, Hope for the Homeless in Worksop and Cancer charities.
37 George Street, Worksop, Nottinghamshire S80 1QJ. Tel: 01909 531962
Thu. 11.00am-2.00pm Open Day (Healing and Private Sittings);
Sat. 7.00pm Service, 8.30pm Open Circle.
Sun. 6.30pm Divine Service
We have over 100 members and if you are wanting more information about us please contact:
President Mrs. Florence Ward
Telephone 01909 540086. Mobile 07766 153967
Vice-president Mr. Don Irving
Telephone 01302 743222
Secretary/Treasurer Mr. Brian Newbolt
Telephone 0114 2486978. Mobile 0781 7030473
Contact us at